Tuesday, 24 September 2024

Model United Nations 2004 Bahrain

Update 3: in Andrew Zolnai Private Blog, two mid-2026 posts on Middle-Eastern religious regimes compared here, and Climate Change and the Old Testament here.

Update 2: see a later follow-on post here.

Update 1: to celebrate Pope Francis' life, a video about his visit to Bahrain is blogged here.

***

As part of my duties at esri.com industry manager, I travelled to shows and visited local distributors worldwide from 2000 to 2006. "Snap dab in the middle" of the 2nd Intifada (Wikipedia), I attended a petroleum show on Bahrain the week after their national holiday. That happened to bring up festering tensions I described in their socio-historic context in my Kuwaiti blog here. 


Model United Nations, Netflix "Never have I ever" S1E5

I recently watched that episode (IMDB), which features a mock Model United Nations (MUN, Wikipedia). That reminded me of an anecdote that is all too topical in the current Hamas-Israel war (Wikipedia). Note that while my Kuwaiti Blog post related my experience, what follows relates what I discussed with Bahrainis in & out of country but with no fact-checking. 

The Bahraini MUN (Instagram) had apparently  just been held at the local UN compound (UN web): while Climate Change was the topic in S1E5 above, the Intifada was the topic then as related in my Kuwaiti blog post; what I didn't pick up in the news media as I was flying out pretty soon, is the flap the MUN caused... The Israeli embassador had apparently visited and stated something to the effect: "while the Palestinian grievances are real, let's not forget the plight of their Israeli neighbors"... He apparently was put on the next flight out!

I wrote in my Medium channel here about the role of youths w.r.t. the Climate Emergency. This episode while humorous, and this incident while serious show how we ignore both the wisdom and the innocence of youth at our peril.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment