Update: on the eve of the 25th anniversary, see here “the doctrine of velayat‑e faqih (“guardianship of the jurist”) that structures Iran’s political system, then compares it with two other religion‑state models—Saudi Arabia’s Islamic monarchy and the Vatican’s papal theocracy—and with Jewish tradition, which develops a rich legal‑religious system (halakha) but does not instantiate a modern, centralized theocratic state. The aim is to clarify how different traditions conceive the relationship between religious authority and political sovereignty, especially as Iran faces a succession crisis around its new Supreme Leader, Mojtaba Khamenei”.
***
Is it not incredible that a generation after, news items are still emerging about that beautiful yet fateful fall morning in NYC? I post it here because it is events in this geography that caused this chaos, like "the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas" (Edward Lorenz talk in 1972 to the American Association for the Advancement of Science, more here). I refer to my visit in Bahrain here for example or a later serendipitous reminder here.
In "24 years after 9/11, previously unseen images are still emerging. This group finds and publishes them" here, CNN highlights the 9/11 Media Preservation Group. I have a soft spot for them, as I'm still part of Extinction Rebellion Media Tell The Truth small WhatsApp group bird-dogging media around another topic of note, the Climate Emergency: I have since withdrawn from socials and from activism, focusing instead on a few small online groups of direct relevance; but my companion Andrew Zolnai Blog, "Web maps & AI for the public good" here, focussed among other things on uncovering "the story behind the story" ... and zoomed past 50K hits per month, I must be addressing something of worth!
This video also pulls at my heartstrings for three reasons, not taking away from the tragic event itself:
- I had such a video camera recording in VHS, and actually feel vicariously the shakiness & graininess that makes this testimony that much more genuine
- the story-behind-the-story - the FBI returning it without follow-up, the sleuthing to recover it, and the care taken to document step-by-step its provenance - not only ensures that credit is given where credit is due, but also shows real news in an era of fake news and inappropriate credit-taking
- finally, this is as-is testimony, neither enhanced nor sensationalized as it was in the immediate aftermath... as parents of then re-teens, we actually helped each other reduce media exposure at the time (luckily we had no TV then, if you can believe that)
Pre-Islamic State
Imagine my surprise then, when I tested that scenario on the grandad of flooding & sea level rise maps here! Even the highest & ludicrous sea level rise submerged the Levant 'from behind' and not from 'the front' as surmised: respectively, the River Jordan & the Mediterranean; if Gaza is flat indeed, not so the hinterland up to the West Bank! Yet another example how maps help keep our thinking straight...
| (click to enlarge) |
No comments:
Post a Comment