Friday, 16 June 2023

Languages and mores, Part IV

Canterbury Cathedral, evensongs I watch regularly on YouTube

 In previous posts we framed culture & communications (Part I), stratification of society (Part II) and migrating populations (Part III). Further to Medium posts on post-colonialism (ending here) and benign patriarchy (ending here), let's address issues of inclusivity, esp. as LGBTQIA+ are seen in the Global South and North. The conclusion is that embracing sexual inclinations is not being permissive but rather being inclusive as humility to think more clearly. Follow on Part V.

Note: everything that follows are observations not criticisms! For disclosure I was raised Catholic, former Unitarian and current Quaker, I recently returned to Catholicism.

My starting point is same-sex marriage tearing the Anglican apart along Global South and North lines. This follows Archbishop of Canterbuy's comment on African Anglicans supporting new Uganda laws restricting  LGBTQIA+. The GAFCON Global Anglicans response can be found here

Note: Justin Welby hasn't hesitated to voice opinions on current affairs such as this or Just Stop Oil protests in London, abusing his pulpit privilege acc. to some... Did you know he was an oil executive in Nigeria before donning the habit? Fast-tracked along lines of privilege also pervading UK politics, context helps frame his colonialist and patronising attitudes.

The Lambeth Resolition I. 10 (Wikipedia) in question re-affirms the Scriptures position on homosexuality. This not only happens against a background of allowing women into higher ranks (Episcopate Report), or not (Wikipedia), but it also pits long-running schism between more conservative Global South and more progressive Global North churches. 

Note: having lived in the US a decade I experienced a similar North South divide among congregations. Contrast the Methodists discussing if not agreeing to all the above (a minister-in-training did his year abroad at Cambridge Quakers) vs. Southern Baptist Convention (its building overlooked my office in the Arts District 25-odd yrs. ago)

In the light of the benign patriarchy I propose in my Medium series quoted above - that we surrender to God, and follow the Scriptures in a God / man / woman / children / nature hierarchy, but make it two-way to restore equity - I found this distinction buried in the GAFCON post telling:

The part of Lambeth Resolution I.10 which enjoins non-discrimination against persons who experience or practice homosexuality is not an endorsement of the sinful act, but a call for a normal pastoral approach and the responsibility of Church ministers to offer care and counsel to sinners of all categories.

 Take away the loaded terminology of "sinful", I see the "pastoral approach" of the Church caring for all. For Jesus accepted Mary Magdalen who washed his feet, did not reny Peter who denied him three times: a fundamental tenet of Christianity is that we are all sinners, we all confess and we all deserve God's grace. 

Put in modern language, we all make mistakes, but we can all be humble and recognise that, and we can all surrender to a higher set of values to guide us in our next steps. A fundamental tenet of Re-evaluation Counselling (here) I also practice, is that we all do the best we can with what info we have to hand, but we improve ourselves and help heal our wounds by taking responsibility to improve what info we have to hand. 

The is the nature of inclusivity that is fundamental to Quakerism. Their Faith and Practice (free access here) is a collection of wisdom collected since the 17th. c. beginnings, modernising and expanding on the Bible, which itself a collection of wisdom of the time (see Arte video here for a modern intro). Entry #32 of QF&P combines all of the above very elegantly for me:

Bring into God’s light those emotions, attitudes and prejudices in yourself which lie at the root of destructive conflict, acknowledging your need for forgiveness and grace. In what ways are you involved in the work of reconciliation between individuals, groups and nations?

Does faith not have a key role in helping humanity address the Climate Emergency as well as political turmoil?

No comments:

Post a Comment